Canillo is part of the so-called high parishes along with Encamp, La Masssana and Ordino. It groups fifteen towns: Bordes d'Envalira, Soldeu, Incles, El Tarter, San Pedro, Ransol, Els Plans, Vilar, Armiana, L'Aldosa, Forn, Prats, Meritxell, Molleres and the town of Canillo which gives name to the parish.
- SITUATION: It is located in the northwest of Andorra and is the largest parish of the principality with 120Km square. It has a unique natural environment full of places of great beauty such as the Vall d'Incles from where many hiking trails start.
- CLIMATE: Taking into account its altitude (it is considered the top of Andorra), the climate is colder and drier than in other parishes. Snowfall is abundant in winter and allows full enjoyment of snow sports, while in summer temperatures are warmer, giving way to green in the mountains.
- ECONOMY AND FINANCE: At an economic level, although Canillo preserves livestock and agricultural traits, the main activity is developed around the services sector, specifically tourism. The parish is the gateway to Grandvalira's ski area (a result of the merger of Pas de la Casa, Grau Roig and Soldeu el Tarter), the largest in southern Europe, with a large offer of activities and services related to World of skiing. While in summer, in terms of active tourism, Canillo offers activities such as climbing, golf, horseback riding or, as we have said before, hiking.
- CULTURE AND LEISURE: In Canillo you will find the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Meritxell, patroness of Andorra and the Romanesque church of Sant Joan de Caselles, a must visit cultural in the principality. In addition the parish has the Palau de Gel, which has an Olympic-sized ice rink, and the viewpoint of the Roc del Quer from which the views of the Canillo Valley are spectacular.
- EDUCATION: Education is a fundamental point to consider, if you have children and are thinking of residing in Andorra. As we have said many times in our blog, in the principality cohexisten three free educational systems (Andorran, French and Spanish), among which can be chosen freely. In Canillo there are two centers that correspond to two of these three systems: Andorran school and French school.
- COMMUNICATIONS: Encamp is connected by road both nationally and internationally. In addition, at 3 hours are the airports of Barcelona and Tolousse.