We have already talked about the importance of the "comuns" in the social and economic life of their communities and the great organizational weight they have in each of the Andorran parishes. Today's post is the second in a series of 7, in which we want to talk about each of these parishes so that you know them better. If you are thinking about living in Ordino we will summarize the key points:
Ordino is part of the so-called high parishes along with Encamp, Canillo and La Massana. It groups eight villages: Segudet, Sornás, Ansalonga, La Cortinada, Arans, Llorts, El Serrat and the own village of Ordino that as capital gives name to the parish.
- SITUATION: It is located in the extreme northwest of Andorra and its villages are arranged along the Valira Norte river. As most parishes have a great natural attraction, especially the Natural Park of Sorteny where you can make many excursions and even spend the night in one of their shelters, if the journey is long. It is worth mentioning the Sorteny Refuge, which is cared for all year round and offers different services and activities.
- CLIMATE: As in the whole principality, the climate of Ordino is cold and dry in winter, whereas in summer it becomes much warmer and because of its altitude, snowfall is more abundant than in other Andorran parishes.
- ECONOMY AND FINANCE: The Vallnord ski domain is the center around which the economic activity of the parish of Ordino revolves. It has the sectors of Pal, Arinsal and Ordino Arcalís, where you can enjoy recreational activities both in winter (ski, freeride ...) and in summer (4x4 routes, horse riding, mountain biking ...) what means a large influx of tourists throughout the year.
- CULTURE AND LEISURE: Romanesque is very present in the parish, we can highlight especially the Church of Sant Martí de la Cortinada and we can also find different museums: the Museum of the Miniature, the House Museum D'Areny Plandolit, the Postal Museum, Mola and Sawmill of Cal Pal and the Center of natura of La Cortinada
Throughout the year, Ordino has a large variety of restaurants offering a wide grastronomic range.
- EDUCATION: It is one of the most important aspects when one considers to reside in Andorra. In Ordino we can find three educational centers (primary and secondary) that correspond to two of the three free systems among which you can choose in the principality: Andorran School and French School.
- COMMUNICATIONS: As in all the principality the roads of this parish are in very good condition and also has several bus lines that communicate with Andorra la Vella and the rest of towns. In terms of international communication, Barcelona and Tolousse airports are within 3 hours.
Photo by Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez