We already talked in our blog about the importance of the "common" in the social and economic life of their communities and the great organizational weight they have in each of the Andorran parishes. Today's post is the first in a series of 7, in which we want to talk about each of these parishes so that you know them better. This time we dedicate it to Massana.
La Masssana is part of the so-called high parishes along with Encamp, Canillo and Ordino. There are seven villages (or quarters): L'Aldosa, Anyós, Arinsal, Erts, Pal, Sispony and the town of La Massana, which as capital gives the name to the parish, as well as some small urban nucleus such as Escàs, el Pujol Of the Piu, els Plans, the Mas de Ribafeta, Xixerella and the Pui.
- LOCATION: It is located on the western flank of Andorra and includes the Natural Park of Les Valls del Comapedrosa, where we can find the highest peak in the country, Comapedrosa, stands at 2942m, from which you can enjoy a panoramic view and a spectacular high mountain landscape.
- CLIMATE: As in the whole principality, the climate of La Massana is cold and dry in winter, while in summer it becomes hot and because of its altitude, snowfall is more abundant than in other parishes of the principality.
- ECONOMY AND FINANCE: La Massana's economic activity revolves around the services sector, with its motor in the Vallnord ski area with the Pal, Arinsal and Arcalís sectors. In the ski resorts you can do activities both in winter (skiing, snowshoeing ...) and in summer (mountain biking, 4x4 routes, horseback riding ...) and this makes a great influx of tourists throughout the year in the zone.
Regarding financial services, the main banking entities of the country have offices in the parish.
- CULTURE AND LEISURE: In La Massana you can find: The Casa Rull Museum, the Farga Rosell Museum, the Comic Museum and the Iron Interpretation Center. In reference to its historical heritage, the Sant Climent de Pal stands out as one of the best preserved rural villages in Andorra.
The parish has a multitude of leisure and catering establishments that offer a wide variety of gastronomy and activities throughout the year.
- EDUCATION: Another of the things that may be of interest if you are thinking of residing in Andorra, and in particular in La Massana, is education. As we have said on several occasions, in the principality it is possible to choose between three different educational systems, totally free. In La Massana we can find the Andorran School and the French School (free of charge) and the private center of the International College of the Pyrenees, covering the stages of primary, secondary and baccalaureate.
- COMMUNICATIONS: La Massana is just 5 km from Andorra la Vella and therefore a maximum of 10 minutes by car. The roads are in very good condition and it has a network of buses that connects the different towns with each other and with the other parishes. Regarding international communication, 3 hours away are the Barcelona and Tolousse airports.
All this together makes this parish the ideal place for those who want to live in Andorra and be in contact with nature, but at the same time have an extensive commercial and leisure offer during all the year.