In previous posts we have talked about the parishes of La Massana, Ordino, Encamp, Canillo and Escaldes Engordany and the fundamental aspects to take into account if you plan to come to live in Andorra and in particular to one of these populations. Today we want you to know better the parish of Andorra la Vella.
- LOCATION: Located on the left bank of the Valira River, Andorra la Vella is the capital of Andorra and the smallest and most populated parish of the principality. It is formed by three urban nuclei: Santa Coloma, La Margineda and the own Andorra la Vella. As in the case of Escaldes-Engordany one of the great values of this parish is the Vall del Madriu, declared Cultural Patrimony of the Humanity by the UNESCO. Besides being of great natural interest, it is also at a cultural level, since it is possible to see how life was in the mountains in the Middle Ages. Hikers will enjoy a direct contact with nature through different routes and paths like the Camí del Prat Primer.
- CLIMATE: As in the rest of the Principality the climate of Andorra la Vella is cold and dry in winter, with episodes of snow less frequent than other parishes with more altitude, whereas in summer the temperatures are warm and really pleasant.
- ECONOMY AND FINANCE: At the economic level, the main activity is closely linked to commercial tourism. Andorra la Vella is the hub and commercial center of the country. Its main streets are an outdoor "mall" where you can find the most exclusive brands and throughout the year has a large influx of buyers, both local and foreign.
- CULTURE AND LEISURE: At the cultural level, the Romanesque and preromanic art of the Church of Santa Coloma, the Margineda's Bridge and the church of Sant Esteve dating from the 12th century are very present in the parish.
Being the capital of the country, this parish has a great hotel offer of first category as well as establishments of leisure and restoration of great quality. In addition, if you decide to live in Andorra la Vella, you will find a wide commercial, leisure and cultural offer throughout the year.
- EDUCATION: If you are thinking of coming to reside in Andorra and you have children, education is a very important point to take into account. As we have said many times in our blog, three free education systems (Andorran, French and Spanish) coexist in the principality, among which you can choose freely. In Andorra la Vella there are six centers that correspond to the three systems: Andorran school, Spanish and French.
- COMMUNICATIONS: Andorra la Vella is connected by road both nationally and internationally. In this parish is the central bus station and about 3 hours are the airports of Barcelona and Tolousse.
If you are thinking of coming to Andorra, to a modern and busy place, the parish of Andorra la Vella is the right place. You will enjoy a wide commercial, leisure and cultural offer throughout the year as well as the nature that you will find within walking distance.